Friday, June 10, 2011

Feed Me: The Humble Potato...















I have a thing for potatoes, and bread, and spring rolls--sorry, I tend to lose focus. We're talking about potatoes, right? Yes, potatoes. I have a thing for potatoes in tacos and with avocado-tomato-onion relish. It's so simple it's ridiculous--which makes it that much more delicious! Enjoy.



Spiced Potato Tacos with Avocado-Tomato-Onion Relish



Potato Seasoning Mix


1 Tbsp chili powder

1 Tbsp oregano

1/2 Tbsp paprika

2 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1/2 tsp salt


Directions: Combine all the seasonings and mix well. I usually quadruple the amounts so that I have taco seasoning on hand whenver I need it



Potato Filling

4 cups diced red potatoes (1" chunks)

1 Tbsp taco seasoning

1/4 cup oil of choice (I use canola...and you can use more oil or less...I'm still not the oil police)


Directions: Heat oven to 425 degrees. Place oil on cookie sheet, add potatoes, sprinkle 1 Tbsp seasoning on top of potatoes and mix with hands to make sure the seasoning gets on all of the potatoes. Spread out into a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes.


Avocado-Tomato-Onion Relish

2 ripe avocadoes, diced

3 roma tomatoes, diced

1/2 yellow onion, finely diced

1/4 cup packed cilantro, chopped

1 Tbsp orange juice (if you don't have orange juice use lemon, but not lime)

1/4tsp + 1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp ground coriander (not cumin, trust me)


Directions: Combine avocado, tomato, and onions in a bowl and toss. Sprinkled on salt, coriander and orange juice and toss again. Finally sprinkle on cilantro and toss a final time. Try not to eat the bowl. I sometimes skip the potatoes all together and use this relish as my taco filler.



Taco Shells of choice (I used corn taco shells. I sprinkle them with water and then wrap with foil and bake at 260 degrees for 10 minutes. What I prefer to do is fry them up in a little canola oil because they taste better that way, but I have to wear a swimsuit in July, so...)


Then what, Reine? Do you need me to walk you through taco assembly? I didn't think so. Side note, I put my potatoes in first and drizzle a little sriracha on before adding the avocado relish.


You have been fed.


grace & peace,

Reine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delish, Reine. I love the new "Feed Me" segment on your blog too. Way to rock this blog! Big hugs. I will try to stop by for Pie Day to say hey.